Monday, June 23, 2014

Pouring Out Grief through Music—“Cryin’ for Me (Wayman’s Song)” by Toby Keith

Grief vs Mourning-jpgMany times “grief” and “mourning” are terms which are used interchangeably, but they represent very different things. As defined by Alan Wolfelt, PhD in his “Understanding Your Grief” book:
  • Grief is the constellation of internal thoughts and feelings we have when someone we love dies. Think of grief as the container. It holds all of your thoughts, feelings, and images of your experience when you are bereaved. In other words, grief is the internal meaning given to the experience of loss.
  • Mourning is when you take the grief you have on the inside and express it outside of yourself. Another way of defining is ‘grief gone public’ or ‘the outward expression of grief.’ Talking about the person who died, crying, expressing your thoughts and feelings through art or music, and celebrating special anniversary dates that held meaning for the person who died are just a few examples of mourning.” (p.22)
One of the ways some pour out their grief is through music, whether it be the singing of songs, listening to songs, or writing of songs. One of my favorite examples of this is “Cryin’ for Me (Wayman’s Song)” by country music artist Toby Keith. I have provided the lyrics below, as well as the VEVO video. One of the benefits of pouring out one’s grief through writing and recording of songs is that you open up the door for another to pour out her grief in response to your writing.  

Copyright © 2014 by Kim Smith

"Cryin' For Me (Wayman's Song)"
Got the news on Friday morning
But a tear I couldn't find
You showed me how I am supposed to live
Now you showed me how to die

I was lost til Sunday morning
I woke up to face my fear
While writing you this good bye song I found a tear
(CHORUS)
I'm going to miss that smile
I'm going to miss you my friend
Even though it hurts the way it ended up
I’d do it all again
So play it sweet in heaven
Cause that's right where you want to be
I'm not cryin' cause I feel so sorry for you
I am cryin' for me

I got up and dialed your number
Your voice came on the line
That old familiar message
I have heard a thousand times
It just said, “Sorry that I missed you
Leave a message and God bless”
I know that you think I am crazy
But I just had to hear your voice I guess

(CHORUS)

Oh
So play your upsidedown, left-handed
Backward bass guitar
I'll see you on the other side superstar

(CHORUS)
Oh
I'm still cryin'



No comments:

Post a Comment