Monday, March 16, 2015

“But I’m Not Going to Ever Get Over You”

A question I am sometimes asked is, “Am I ever going to “get over” this?” The person is usually referring to the pain of the grief which comes from missing a loved one. In tribute to his brother, Blake Shelton, along with wife Miranda Lambert, wrote a song entitled, “Over You.” In the song, there is a line which could be a mantra for most all who are bereaved: “But I’m Not Going to Ever Get Over You.” I am often told by my bereaved, who are 2-3 years along in their grief journey, something similar to this:

“I will never ‘get over’ my grief (or my loved one), but I have learned to live with it and incorporate the loss into my life. I will always miss him, but I have come to a place where I am living life again. My life would be so much better with him physically here with me, but instead I carry him with me in my heart, as I make the choice to live the life I have now and enjoy those who are here with me for this part of my life journey.”

Copyright © 2015 by Kim Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment