Monday, July 6, 2015

“There Is a Sacredness in Tears…”

there is a sacredness in tears

How many times have I had someone begin to tear up when they are speaking about their loved one, and their knee-jerk reaction is to apologize for their tears? I encourage them to instead let them flow and  to be thankful for the God-given ability to cry and allow some of the pain to “leak out.”

Washington Irving proposes “there is a sacredness in tears” and “they speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.” I definitely agree with him. I think about some of my own experiences. Last night I wiped the tear from the cheek of someone I dearly love. For me, that was a moment frozen in time…the image flashes to my mind as I type.

Have the tears of another ever touched your heart in a manner mere words could never reach? Maybe someone just sat silently and cried with you as you allowed your pain to flow. I’m betting you will never forget that person and the love for you which flowed visibly out in their tears.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Kim Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment