Thursday, September 18, 2014

“How can I benefit from the bereavement services?”

Recently I asked one of my Heart2Heart Connections’ participants to write about Heart2Heart Connections Graphicher experience in the group. Part of her writing will appear in the next newsletter, but I wanted to post the letter in its entirety, because I feel it might be helpful for those who may be contemplating participating in one of our groups and haven’t yet take the step out. Thanks Mrs. Anna for writing this.

“With Bay’s illness, death, arrangements and personal things to take care of, I was in a daze. I thought I could handle grief, but I was wrong. Since he died close to the holidays, I did not want to ruin my family or friends’ holidays. After the first of the year, grief seemed to smother me. All I did was cry. Finally, my daughter told me to call Kim, who had given her the information if we needed someone to talk to. Yes, my family and friends were there for me and I thank God for them, but I needed something else. When I called Kim, she told me the options that St. Joseph offered. I chose this session and believe me, I was glad to share with all who were and still are in this group. I know that everyone needs somebody to help them. With Kim guiding us, we have learned to share with one another our grief. Some members have gotten their feathers (as Kim says) and left us with the knowledge that one day that will be us. Yes, I still have bad days. Today would have been our 38th anniversary (9/15/14). Sadness and tears can come at a song we shared, a feeling I get over something we shared, but then peace comes over me. I am thankful for these memories, and I take it as a sign from Bay that he is no longer suffering and is watching over me. I know some people wonder if we will ever get over our grief. I found this poem and would like to share: THE REALITY IS THAT YOU WILL GRIEVE FOREVER, YOU WILL NOT “GET OVER IT,” YOU WILL LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT. YOU WILL HEAL AND REBUILD YOURSELF AROUND YOUR LOSS. YOU WILL BE WHOLE AGAIN, BUT NEVER THE SAME, NOR WOULD YOU WANT TO BE. I feel this is what your loved one would want for us. So to Kim, St. Joseph Hospice and to all who have shared their grief with me and listened to mine, I thank you and God bless you. This is to Bay: “SOMETIMES THE GREATEST COMFORT IS TO BE WRAPPED SECURELY IN MEMORIES OF YOU BAY. LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU. YOUR OLD LADY.” Kim, my feathers are nubs. I still need this group. Thanks for the help, Anna.

In my opinion, this describes what St. Joseph Hospice and Kim offers us:

WHEN A PROBLEM CANNOT BE FIXED BY MONEY, TIME OR EFFORT. THEN HOLD A HAND AND LISTEN TO THE WORDS OF A BROKEN HEART.

THANKS KIM.

by Anna Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment